ISO Autonomous Body
The International Organization for Standardization is a worldwide autonomous body for setting various global standards for quality management. It comprises of representative standardization organizations from various nations. Established in 1947, the ISO frames and promotes worldwide industrial and commercial standards.
ISO 22000:2018 Certification
Whatever their size, or product, all food producers have a responsibility to manage the safety of their products and the well-being of their consumers. That’s why ISO 22000 exists.
ISO 22000:2018 stands for food safety management system. It is a prevention-based food safety system that identifies and prevents microbial, chemical and other hazards in the food based industry.
This International Standard ISO 22000 certification specifies requirements to enable an organization to plan, implement, operate, maintain and update a food safety management system aimed at providing products that, according to their intended use, are safe for the consumer.
- To demonstrate compliance with applicable statutory and regulatory food safety requirements
- To evaluate and assess customer requirements and demonstrate conformity with those mutually agreed customer requirements that relate to food safety, in order to enhance customer satisfaction
- To effectively communicate food safety issues to their suppliers, customers and relevant interested parties in the food chain
- To ensure that the organization conforms to its stated food safety policy
- To demonstrate such conformity to relevant interested parties
- To seek certification or registration of its food safety management system by an external organization, or make a self-assessment or self-declaration of conformity to this international standard
ISO 22000:2018 For Whom
It is applicable to all organizations, regardless of size, which are involved in any aspect of the food chain and want to implement systems that consistently provide safe products. The means of meeting any requirements of this International Standard can be accomplished through the use of internal and/or external resources.
Benefits of ISO 22000 Certification
Implementing ISO 22000 will bring the following benefits to your organization :
- An auditable standard with clear requirements which provides a framework for third-party certification
- Suitable for regulators
- The structure aligns with the management system clauses of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001
- Enables communication about hazards with partners in the supply chain
- System approach, rather than product approach
- Applicable to all organizations in the global food supply chain
- Systematic management of prerequisite programmes
- Increased due diligence
- Dynamic communication on food safety issues with suppliers, customers, regulators and other interested parties signifies that it is a truly global international standard
- Provides potential for harmonization of national standards
- Covers the majority of the requirements of the current retailer food safety standards
- Complies with the Codex HACCP principles
- Provides communication of HACCP concepts internationally
- A systematic and proactive approach to identification of food safety hazards and development and implementation of control measures
- Resource optimization – internally and along the food chain
- All control measures are subjected to hazard analysis
- Better planning-less post process verification
- Improved documentation